Jared K. Nelson
Jared Nelson is an Of Counsel attorney with Sherwood, McCormick & Robert who advises clients on transactional, regulatory and compliance matters involving corporate, business and health care issues. During his career, Jared has represented small, single employee businesses all the way up to large, national corporations, both in private practice and in-house roles. Jared distinguishes himself as a technician in the law, regularly designing novel business arrangements and customized transaction structures that fulfill clients’ particular requirements and specifications.
Jared’s detailed approach to the law serves clients well who need assistance with diverse transactional, regulatory and compliance activities, whether arising in general corporate and business environments or the highly regulated health care industry. In particular, he possesses a wealth of expertise and experience in health care fraud and abuse investigations, remediation and contracting guidance, including Stark Law, Anti-kickback Statute and False Claims Act.
Jared was recognized as a Super Lawyers® Rising Star in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Jared is a proponent and adherent of life-long learning, which currently includes his enrollment in a part-time Master of Laws (LL.M.) program in Business Transactions with the University of Alabama School of Law. The curriculum continues to build on Jared’s overall business transactions knowledge with advanced courses on Securities Regulation, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Tax, Partnership Tax, Private Equity, Corporate Finance and other topics relevant to Jared’s practice and his clients’ needs.
Health Care Representations
- Negotiating and documenting assorted hospital-physician financial arrangements, including professional service agreements, medical director agreements, call coverage agreements and physician employment agreements.
- Reviewing, investigating and evaluating potentially fraudulent, abusive or non-compliant payment arrangements among health care providers, including ownership and compensation relationships that implicate the Stark Law, Anti-kickback Statute (AKS) and False Claims Act (FCA).
- Developing sophisticated business arrangements and transaction structures that leverage regulatory protections afforded to physician group practices and comply with various exceptions to the Stark Law and safe harbors under the Anti-kickback Statute (AKS).
Business and Corporate Representations
- Establishing, organizing and overseeing the continuing operations of businesses, whether as corporations (for-profit and not-for-profit), partnerships (general, limited, limited liability or limited liability limited partnership), limited liability companies or sole proprietorships, throughout their business life cycle.
- Evaluating and advising clients on options for issuing, reissuing and transferring ownership interests in business entities, subject to applicable requirement of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Advising business owners on corporate and general business issues, including limiting liability and protecting equity investors through statutory pronouncements, common law principles and contractual provisions.
- Structuring and drafting restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, to maximize their efficacy and enforceability in various transaction settings while complying with applicable laws.
- Counseling clients on trademark protection strategies and the options available to them, including federal trademark clearance and registration and the enforcement of trademark rights against infringement.
- University of Tulsa College of Law, J.D., with Honors
- Texas A&M University, B.S., Geography
- University of Alabama School of Law, LL.M., Business Transactions (Pending)
Admissions and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Tulsa County Bar Association